Selected readingApril 27, 2009 at 7:43 pm | Posted in Misc. | Leave a comment
Because Monday evenings never make for good bloggin’:
- Reacting to the sinking of the plans for Titan prisons, David Ramsbotham argues that now is the time for prison reform.
- Mark Easton discusses Britain’s treatment of the children of asylum seekers.
- Juan Cole tries to reassure some of the worried hand-wringers on Pakistan.
- Bernard Finel argues that Afghanistan is irrelevant.
- The NYT has a sad story about mounting attacks on Hungary’s gypsy population.
- Kristin Bricker has a very long but worthwhile piece on the drug war in Mexico.
- Israel will be calling this global flu outbreak ‘Mexico flu’ rather than ‘swine flu’. Why? Because pigs aren’t kosher. No, this isn’t a wind-up.
- It didn’t take long before the conspiracy theorists started claiming that this outbreak was actually created by bioterrorists.
- And say what you like about Hillary Clinton (and I could say plenty), but this heartfelt defense of women’s reproductive freedom is very impressive.